Sunday 11 April 2010

Prostitution




I was actually shocked at the average age at entering prostitution was 13- 14years old. Young girls would be recruited or coerced into prostitution. Others were "traditional wives" without job skills who escaped from or were abandoned by abusive husbands and went into prostitution to support themselves and their children.
I also found it interesting that a 1991 report stated that: 85% of prostitute/clients reported history of sexual abuse in childhood; 70% reported incest.
I disagree with prostitution but on the other hand can understand why both men and women are forced to go into prostitution. Here are some facts that I have come across

• About 80% of women in prostitution have been the victim of a rape.
• 73% reported having experienced physical assault in prostitution.
• 72% were currently or formerly homeless.
• 92% stated that they wanted to escape prostitution immediately.
When reading about prostitution I also came across 15 reasons why prostitution was beneficial. It seems that men like prostitutes mainly to satisfy their needs but I don’t think they understand the emotional and physical distress that many women have to go through in order to make a living!!

I think that you’ll find these web links quite interesting!
http://www.slate.com/id/2186243

http://www.sexwork.com/coalition/15reasons.html

No comments:

Post a Comment